[TxMt] Re: My stab at a reftex-ish style citation command

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Nov 26 05:53:53 UTC 2006

On Nov 25, 2006, at 20:43, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2006, at 7:18 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, why -show-path=tex?  Just to search for
>> \bibliography commands in those .tex files?  I never put .tex/.bib
>> files in the kpsewhich search path, so I don't know precisely how
>> to use them.
>>
> My script travels into all \include'd files, looking for
> \bibliography entries there as well. That's where the -show-path=tex
> is being used, to locate the file based on its name in \include{...}.

Hmm.  The -show-path-tex returns a bunch of system paths on my machine
that don't seem terribly relevant.  I'm not a TeX-pert, though.

I'm currently passing $TM_LATEX_MASTER and $TM_FILEPATH as .tex files,
and finding \include and \input arguments from those (and any files
they include).  This is of course more painful with potentially
relative filenames and lack of path extension, as you know.

>> For my own amusement, I wrote an Obj-C program that reproduces most
>> of the behavior of LatexCitekeys.rb (I think), and tells BibDesk to
>> open the files if necessary before asking it for completion terms.
>>
> Cool! Perhaps we can use it to replace the "current" Bibdesk
> completion command in the bundle, so that users have two options
> when it comes to completion?

That would be fine with me, if there's interest; your default
completion works great, but I'm admittedly biased towards BibDesk :).
The code needs some refactoring before I post it for public
humiliation, but there's a binary and modified .tmCommand at <http://homepage.mac.com/amaxwell/.Public/Completion.zip
 >.  Run the command with -h for a usage summary (requires a recent
nightly build of BibDesk with the Distributed Objects interface).

And to keep this thread on-topic, I modifed Alan's excellent reftex-
ish command to work with BibDesk, and am really happy with it; that is
the coolest cite interface I've used!

-- Adam