[TxMt] Re: Is this for real?

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 22 02:59:24 UTC 2006

Eric Knapp wrote:
> There is a good discussion on the post I linked to about this. Lots of
> people are saying that this is a really good thing for the TextMate
> community. However, I'm not so sure. I realize that there is nothing anyone
> can do about it but if this editor take off on Win and Linux there is
> really
> nothing to stop him from porting to OS X too. I guess I've seen good
> intentions blow up in faces too many times to be excited about this. I can
> only hope that everything works out well for everyone, but I'm skeptical.

No matter how good this guy is as a programmer, I have a lot of trouble
believing he'll be able to make a competent TextMate lookalike using a
cross-platform GUI toolkit, and completely cross-platform–compatible
code, by himself, in a short period of time.  There's so much that
relies on Apple-specific stuff to work.  I'm not holding my breath for
these TextMate clones.  Instead, I think it's a better idea for windows
guys to just target windows, and use all the techs available to them on
*that* platform, to make the best windows editor they can, and while
borrowing ideas from TM is useful (like scopes, etc.), I don't think
lifting the bundles wholesale is going to do much use for anyone.

-Jacob