[TxMt] making a new bundle from old

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Tue Nov 21 04:13:58 UTC 2006

On Nov 20, 2006, at 9:25 PM, William Scott wrote:

> So I deduced I am doing something wrong, that TextMate still
> identifies this with the previously named bundle, and the two won't
> co-exist until I fix the problem.
>
> However, since I took a rather backward approach, I am not clear on
> what else I need to change in order for TextMate to recognize my
> attempt at a zsh bundle as something separate from the old Shell
> Script bundle.  I've made some new bundles de novo, but I an not
> clear on how to fix the mess I made here.

Basically you are encountering the way TextMate treats bundle items
and bundles in general. Each bundle item is  characterized uniquely
by a UUID, which is a string like this: 4694B05E-6227-11D9-
BFB1-000D93589AF6
In fact, this is exactly the UUID that characterizes the shell
bundle. You can find this out if you open the info.plist file of that
bundle for editing in the editor. When you renamed the shell bundle,
this did not change this number. So what you would have to do is in
the command line find the bundle and duplicate it, and then in the
copy find the  corresponding info file, and use the "uuidgen" command
line tool to generate a random UUID, and put that as the UUID in that
file, so that it differs from the shell one.

Now, this is only half the work, since now each single bundle item
had such a UUID, and for the time being those are the same in the
copy as they were in the original. So you have to generate new UUID's
and put them there for each one of them. You can probably create a
script to do this for you.

If you prefer to do something equivalent from within the bundle
editor, then you can do it as follows. The basic principle is that
any operation that creates a new bundle/item provides it with a new
UUID. So you would need to first create a new bundle. Then duplicate
in the bundle editor each item of your original bundle, and move
those duplicates to the new bundle you created. Those duplicates will
have different UUID's if you create them using the Bundle Editor.

Finally, you need to recreate the menu structure, by selecting your
new bundle and moving things around in the main area on the right of
the bundle editor.

Hope this helps.
> Thanks.
>
> Bill
>
> PS:  Once I have something nonpathological, I am happy to share it.

Please do.

Haris