[TxMt] strange behaviour with linefeeds/spaces/carriage returns

Sam Aaron sam.maillists at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 20 12:43:13 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I had this hideous bug in on of my rjs templates. The bug was in this
line:

page[:login].visual_effect
:blind_down

now, most of you (who know rjs) will think that's a perfectly good
line. However, there is a bug in it. That line gets converted to this
javascript:

$("login").visualEffect
("blind_down");

It turns out that the character between the .visual_effect and
the :blind_down is *not* a standard space. It's some sort of carriage
return/line feed which is displayed as a space in TextMate (and Mail
it seems too).

Now, not wanting to spark up any editor wars or anything, but BBEdit
displays the lines like this:

page[:login].visual_effect
:blind_down

$("login").visualEffect
("blind_down");

so it's now obvious where the bug is... and why my div wasn't
blinding down ;-)

Is there any way I can get TextMate to alert me to the fact that this
character *isn't* a space? And therefore stop this hair-pulling bug
from happening again :-)

SAm