[TxMt] Quoting Pattern in Latex-Bundle shown as invalid

Paul McCann paul.mccann at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Nov 18 06:41:26 UTC 2006

Haris asked... (re the "<  and >" quoting commands):

> When I try to compile a file containing these lines, it shows up
> pretty bad. Is this something standard in LaTeX? Does it depend on
> some special package perhaps? I have literally never seen these
> before. Then again, there's a lot of LaTeX things I haven't seen
> before.

I think they give "reverse guillemot-like" quotes when used in
German: so, for example, if

\usepackage[german]{babel}

is in the document's preamble you can use "< to produce << (OK, a
glyph something like this...).

So a working example would be

\documentstyle{article}
\usepackage[german]{babel}