[TxMt] I know this has been done to death but...

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Thu Nov 16 16:55:18 UTC 2006

I've got a project here with 16,500 files in it (75,000 if you count
the subversion metadata). It's a Joomla 1.5 website with a bunch of
content. I have three copies of the site in the project directory
because of the way I'm merging changes from the latest Joomla SVN
into my own source tree.

Needless to say switching to and from TextMate causes a considerable
delay - between 5 and 10 seconds on my G4 PowerBook. I like to flip
back and forth between a web browser, terminal and TM pretty
frequently - at times as much as maybe a few times a minute - so I'm
spending a fair proportion of my time waiting for TM at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips for speeding up TM's project scanning?
Obviously I could rearrange my project to move some of the less
frequently used files into another project - but I'd rather not do
that if it's avoidable.

It seems that TM only really needs to rescan the directories that are
open in the project drawer and any open files - a full scan could be
then be done lazily if at all. I get the impression it currently
walks the whole directory tree - is that correct? If it's not doing
that what's taking so long?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net