[TxMt] Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

Charley Tiggs lists at tiggs.net
Sun Nov 12 14:29:13 UTC 2006

Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>> Regular expressions are your friend.  ;)
>> Yes, they are but, in this case, BBEdit is better.  I can send the
>> matches to a new document and delete 'em from the original document at
>> the same time.  This is useful for when I'm needing to quickly weed
>> out multiple sets of data and put each set into separate files for
>> easier processing by other apps/scripts.
>
> You can also use the Filter Lines Through… set Input to Document, output
> to New Document, and then let the command be either: egrep «regexp» or
> egrep -v «regexp». The first one creates a new document with all matches
> from the old one, the latter takes all the lines which did not match the
> regexp.

Awesome!

> We could make two standard commands for this, which prompted the user
> for the pattern…

This would be great.  Especially for people like me coming from another
powerful text editor.  Like I said, I revert back to BBEdit only when I
can't locate a feature I need and I know that BBEdit has one command and
a two step process to accomplish it.

> As for your other reply:
>
>> Just didn't expect that what I'd consider basic functionality in a
>> power text editor to be in a bundle
>
> The idea with TextMate is that as much as possible should be in the
> bundles, because only in the bundles can users truly modify things, and
> if we can make all the “basic functionality” as bundle items, then we
> can make a lot as bundle items, for example those commands you are
> missing :)

I'm starting to learn that.  It's just taking me some time and
repetition to get used to thinking that way.  It's a whole new way of
thinking about editors that is taking me some time to get used to!  But
I'm starting to like the flexibility and power as I understand it more.

Charley