[TxMt] Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

Dave Winzler dave at nkvt.com
Fri Nov 10 17:46:33 UTC 2006

James Edward Gray II wrote:
> I literally miss one feature of BBEdit:  multi-file search...
> However, I see no point in complaining about this since I can add a
> bundle for it at any time.

Oh, I so wish you would do that, James; is now "any time"? ;)

Seriously tho, lately I've been using grep to do multifile searches
since it's too much effort within TextMate, and it's not worth firing
up BBEdit for. I usually have one or two files open rather than a
project, and usually my multi-file searches are within a folder
associated with another project completely. I only need to do this a
couple times a week so it's not too annoying, but it would be nice if
I could search a given directory like BBEdit.

Things keeping me from loving TextMate even more than I already do:
- better multifile searches
- side-by-side diff (love BBEdit!)
- better handling of very large files
- split views
- chunked undo

And to be fair, just a few of the things I love about TextMate:
- editing is fun
- amazing syntax hilighting for all the languages I work with and
many more as well
- snippets
- it's really smart
- incredible support (see thanks below)
- bundles beyond count
- creating my own snippets, commands and macros EASILY!
- it's constantly being updated (program and snippets both)
- the screencasts

Many thanks to Allan and the many people creating and maintaining
bundles, you really have created the best text editor out there (IMHO).

  - Dave Winzler