[TxMt] DarwinPorts or Fink

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Thu Nov 9 00:37:25 UTC 2006

On Nov 8, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Rick Gigger wrote:

> Has anyone tried out pkgsrc?
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

I have not, but note that:

"You cannot use an ordinary HFS+ file system for pkgsrc, because
pkgsrc currently requires the file system to be case-sensitive. You
can, however, use a case-sensitive HFS+ (aka HFSX) file system as
found in Darwin 7.0 and newer."

> I used to use fink but all of the packages I used got very out of
> date, and the newer versions were only in the unstable branch
> (latest php or postgres) so I switched to DarwinPorts.

I used fink until at some point it annoyed me one time too many,
can't recall what I found annoying though. DP isn't perfect (e.g,
right now due to packaging errors GnuCash won't build/install) but
has annoyed me less.

> Also if DarwinPorts is now MacPorts then why are both http://
> darwinports.opendarwin.org/ and http://www.macports.org/ both
> operational?  Shouldn't the darwinports site be removed if it is
> just old stuff?  Or at least it should have a not pointing you to
> the newer macports site?

It says this on DP:

"As part of the transition to Mac OS Forge, the DarwinPorts project
will adopt the new name MacPorts, utilizing the macports.org domain,
which it recently acquired. "We believe the new name MacPorts better
reflects our mission, which is to provide a collection of open source
ports for Mac OS X, with future supportfor binary packages", says
Juan Manuel Palacios, another DarwinPorts member.

Members of the DarwinPorts/MacPorts project and portmgr team will
work with opendarwin.org and Mac OS Forge to effect a smooth
transition over the coming weeks."

j.