[TxMt] PyMate in RUBY?!?!?

Alexander Ross alex.j.ross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 18:43:11 UTC 2006

I am the one responsible for the new PyMate.  It in Ruby because we
are moving towards a unified script runner for TextMate which will
allow all of the various scripting languages to benefit from an
enhanced html output window, while reducing the amount of maintenance
required to keep everything working.  pymate.rb will eventually be a
subclass of a more generalized script runner which will be language
indepedent.  It will perhaps be in another language, but that doesn't
especially matter.

Ruby does not run your python code.  Instead, a python subprocess is
launched, the code is piped in, and the output is piped to HTML
preview.  The custom exception handling is done using a special
sitecustomize.py Python.bundle/Support/PyMate/,  that bit if code is
in Python, and is quite nice.  To modify PyMate, the sitecustomize.py
should be all that you really need to touch.

I actually spent a few hours trying to reimplement pymate.rb in
Python, but then realized I was wasting my time after a simple
copy-paste from RubyMate had things working in 10 minutes flat.

I think it is a testament to the power of both Python and Ruby that
they are so easily melded into a working PyMate.

Anyway, I hope you'll give the new version of PyMate a chance, and
report any issues that you have.  I really would like it to work for
you, regardless of the implementation language.

- Alex