[TxMt] questions about themes

Sam Aaron sam.maillists at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 5 14:05:02 UTC 2006

Hi there,

just to throw a couple of ideas into the pot whilst this discussion
is still active.

I had a think about this recently, and had some similar thoughts
about the usefulness of themes. I agree with Allan, in that I think
that it's probably possible to get a theme that caters for all your
desires. However, what I would suggest is that this is probably a
very difficult and time consuming task. The theme you would have to
create would be rather large, and difficult to write. And (to me at
least) what would be most annoying is that other people have written
parts of the 'perfect solution'. So, part A of theme 1 would be
useful, part B of theme 2 also... etc. The problem is that themes
aren't modular. I'd really like to be able to compose a theme from
various theme modules.

My second thought is probably a lot wilder, and therefore potentially
useless, but sometimes bonkers thoughts need to be thrown out there.
I wondered to what extent the colours within theme modules could be
relative. Hmm, that doesn't sound so descriptive. What I'm trying to
explain is that if within a particular theme module (if they were to
exist) the colours could be made relative to a base colour.
Therefore, if somebody didn't like a colour scheme, they could choose
a different base colour, and the theme would reflect it. Crazy eh!

Anyway, back to modules for themes. I'd like to be able to pick one
guy's great module for LaTeX, another's for CSS, and my own for Ruby,
etc. I'd also need to be able to prioritise them, in case there were
any attempts to redefine the highlighting for the same scope.

I'm not suggesting that these be implemented, I'm just throwing the
ideas out for general discussion.

Sam Aaron
----
http://sam.aaron.name