[TxMt] Blogging Bundle: Excerpts for Wordpress

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Nov 5 11:16:34 UTC 2006

On 4. Nov 2006, at 12:37, Brett Terpstra wrote:

> What I was getting at was not that I thought you would require the
> exact RFC 822 syntax, but that you would need a specific syntax in
> general, and it would be hard to guarantee that the user would
> follow that syntax and not screw things up before parsing.  The
> <<EXCERPT idea is more along the lines of what I was thinking, and
> a snippet could insert the necessary code.

And with syntax highlight, I am not too concerned the user would get
it wrong.

> Couldn't you just have the header start with a word and a colon,
> and then the excerpt be terminated by something like ENDEXCERPT?

Well, personally I have a strong dislike of special-casing an element
(i.e. one of the headers). This should IMO be a general system for
multi-line headers.

> Do you want to preserve the CR?  Do they need to be escaped before
> posting, or are they stripped in parsing?

With the here-doc syntax, the text should be taken verbatim, the
excerpt could be multiple paragraphs, in markdown, etc. -- best not
to do any transformation even on just the whitespace.