Re: Rép : [TxMt] mate and file owner

Une Bévue yt.trash at free.fr
Sat Nov 4 03:53:26 UTC 2006

Le 3 nov. 06 à 23:55, Allan Odgaard a écrit :

> As for why this is not a good idea (as you asked in the other
> letter) then it is because you are running TextMate as root, and
> TextMate will run *a lot* of other code, load frameworks, have
> input manager code injected into it, etc. and all that code will
> run as root.

OK, it's what i've understood...

> As for why your wrapper did not work, you need to call ‘mate -w’ to
> have mate wait till TextMate is done writing the file.

fine thanks, i'll put that "-w" in my notes...

> It did not ask because you made the file writable by the world, so
> it was allowed to write to the file.

right i didn't catched that because i was stuck with user:group ;-)

> That said, I can’t reproduce your problem.

other guys from a french shell mailing list too, they said, in short,
TextMate behaves correctly.

let me tell you what i've done in the mean time.

delete "everything" (found by locate TextMate) belonging to TextMate.

"re-install" a fresh downloaded TextMate.

try again BUT with my mystake "-rw-rw-rw-" at that time.

i edit the file the result being a change in user:group, then i
realize the background window within TextMate was black, then i've
trashed the "" prefs too (i had forgotten that in the previous step.

after that i edit again the same file and verified user:group (still
with the bad "rw-rw-rw-" ) here TextMate change the contents of the
file save it WITHOUT modifying user:group....

then at least a part of my prob comes from
"com.macromates.textmate.plist" or the other one i don't have the name.

unfortunately because i've done that by rm -f, I don't have anymore
those prefs files.

right now if i open the file "essai-sudo-config" :

TextMate let me edit it BUT asks for authetification when saving.

from TextMate everything is OK deleting the prefs....

Satisfied by TextMate, I've re-installed mate :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> which mate
/Users/yvon/bin/mate

then, i've done a (without the famous -w) :

~/Desktop/sudo_textmate%> mate essai-sudo-config

here again i got wrong user:group afterwars (TextMate didn't ask for
autheticating).

is that a normal behaviour of mate I ask for that particular point to
you because to me i've got contradictory answers from this mailing list.

thanks for all !

best,

Yvon