[TxMt] backup procedure?

Quinn Comendant quinn at strangecode.com
Thu May 25 20:39:19 UTC 2006

The HD in my powerbook died a couple months ago. I restored my home
directory with rsync and TM worked perfect.

While I'm typing, let me pass a small message to the list:

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP DO IT NOW BACK IT ALL UP don't wait go buy a large
external hard disk and use SuperDuper and just do it regardless of cost
or convenience. Clone your entire HD and make it bootable so you can
swap in the previous day's backup and keep on working.

I had been using Apple's rsync (with -E) to backup but learned during
the last crash how inadequate that was. Anything that used plain text
files (TM included) was fine, but much else was toasted. The RsyncX
version is also flawed. The only tools I would recommend is /usr/sbin/
asr or SuperDuper!.

Here's an article I found helpful:
<http://blog.plasticsfuture.org/2006/03/05/the-state-of-backup-and-
cloning-tools-under-mac-os-x/>