[TxMt] full-screen mode feature request

Oliver Taylor ollieman at gmail.com
Tue May 23 07:15:44 UTC 2006

I suppose I'd better weigh-in while I still have the chance on the
issue of a full-screen mode.

To avoid [Tuesday Whipper-Snapping][1], I'll just tell you why
fullscreen is important to *me*. I'll leave it up to you to
interpolate other uses for fullscreen.

An interesting, and relevant, discussion has been going on over at
[Subtraction.com][2] where talk is brewing of an app that actually
blocks all network traffic while using it. A quote:

> what better way to thwart a computer than to step away from
> it completely? There's no email to check on a typewriter,
> no beeps and pop-up reminders from other applications, and
> no access whatsoever to the Internet and its tantalizing
> abundance of productivity-killing diversions.
>
> [...] At some point, it occurred to me that it really
> shouldn't be necessary to purchase another piece of hardware
> to accomplish the same things that writers look to manual
> typewriters for: the ability to focus without distractions.

And that's exactly what fullscreen is all about, killing distractions
and making you forget that your computer can do anything but process
text.

"HA!" I can hear so many of you saying, "All you need is some
will-power! you don't need fancy tools." Indeed, you don't need fancy
tools at all. For goodness sake, the greatest masterworks of writing
of the human race were created with nothing more than ink and paper.

But I ask you this, what lengths did those people go to to kill
distractions? Truman Capote was known to only be able to *really*
write away from everyone he knew, away from his own life. Writers
often take sabbaticals to other countries to finish their works.
Killing distractions is a way of life. I'll say that again,

Killing distractions is a way of life.

For me, anything that helps me do this is a tool I want to use.

[1]: http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3291
[2]: http://www.subtraction.com/archives/2006/0509_blockwriter.php