[TxMt] full-screen mode feature request.

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at gmail.com
Mon May 22 18:36:30 UTC 2006

Just to speak up about this while it's kicking aroud yet again:

As a text snob (as I expect most Mac users and text editor geeks to
be), I can't *stand* having anything, let alone text, rendered at
non-native resolution on my LCDs. The problem I've always had with
this technique is that it's effectively doing just that, by rendering
the GUI small and then upscaling it.  It's not much different than
running your 1440x900 display at 1280x800 -- in other words, it's
profoundly painful when compared to proper, native-resolution text and
GUI display.

It's a good idea in principle, but I find the artifacts to be SO
offputting as to far outweigh the added focus afforded by a more
constrained viewing area, sans menu bar, etc.

A real, specially-engineered full screen mode like in Ulysses is a
very different animal.  I've always wondered, though: is it really the
case that you have to use full-screen-mode APIs, and can't just make a
window the side of the screen with no boundaries?  That would at least
get rid of everything but the menu bar, which, for the truly paranoid,
could be masked with MenuShade or similar.  And the is only equal to
about 1.5 lines of text, which is vertical height I'd be perfectly
willing to sacrifice, myself, in the interest of dramatically improved
simplicity of implementation (and some hope of actually getting this
feature).
-jrk