[TxMt] primer on markdown & textmate / Rant

Daniel Käsmayr daniel at kaesmayr.net
Thu May 18 08:29:53 UTC 2006

<rant>
> Difficulties in Collaboration
> =============================
> All of my colleagues use Word for curriculum development, tests, and
> assignments.  Colleagues don't get it when I send a markdown
> formatted document to them.  While I use textmate for a variety of
> tasks, I stumped at how I can drop Word without retraining my
> colleagues.

I just got two emails from coworkers with both about 5 lines of text
in a word document attached to an email. Can someone please explain to
me why they did not just enter the damn text into the email? Luckily
gmail can display .doc as html, I really don't care about having Word
just for crap like this.

Why are people so ignorant? Both my coworkers do complain about Word
being sucky and complicated and all that -- but you would think they
might do something about it. I wish WYSIWYG and Word were never
invented, it dumbs people down, just like PowerPoint tends to do…
anyone remember the hype against PP --
http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000111&topic_id=1

There is whole businesses losing their right to exist just because the
average pc user thinks he can do it better, as well as people losing
their appreciation of quality (as long as they pay for it).

How do you re-train your coworkers and surroundings?

THAT is why TextMate is so cool. It makes it easy to create text/code,
it makes you love the act of writing the content and not fuss with the
annoying stuff around it -- but it doesnt force you to create bad
code. Maybe people would be dumping Word if they had a good text
editor on their hands (*dreaming*).

Ah. Need to get coffee.
</rant>

Dan