[TxMt] Re: Split the project drawer?

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Mar 29 18:03:21 UTC 2006

In article <90FE8662-BB5C-4DE0-9166-6DCD4B158394 at gmail.com>,
 thomas Aylott <thomas.42 at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>
> > I have a project with about 500 files that split neatly into a few
> > categories. Is there some way to split the project drawer or otherwise
> > get two separate scrolling views of different subsections of the
> > project?
> >
> > And/or can one get a multi-pane hierarchical view (like one of the
> > Finder views)?
> >
> > It looks like Go to File... will often be the quickest way to open a
> > file, but sometimes I'll have to manually hunt through the
> > hierarchy and
> > some hints on how best to wade through it would be much appreciated.
> >
> > -- Russell
>
> You can't currently do anything nearly so complex.
> You CAN make groups of files, however.
>
> Just select a few files and the "group this stuff" command is it the
> little widget menu at the bottom of the drawer.
>
> This can actually speed textmate up quite a bit if you're working on
> a remote volume.

They are already grouped in some sense, because the project is a live
view of a directory (a really nice TextMate feature!), and the two main
subprojects are directories in that main directory.

The problem is that if I dig down into one of the first subproject
directories, the list of files gets so long that the second subproject
directory is pushed way down and becomes very hard to find.

With a split pane, I could expand each subproject in its own separately
scrolled pane.

(I did try grouping anyway, since I didn't know about it, but it was
grayed out -- I'm guessing it only works for projects that consist of an
explicit set of files, rather than a live view of a folder).

-- Russell