[TxMt] Text width control

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Mar 26 08:57:24 UTC 2006

On 24/3/2006, at 16:30, Afternoon wrote:

> What's the performance impact here, does TextMate create a new
> instance of sh every time I hit space?

Yes. I have considered keeping an interpreter per document, also to
be able to re-use variables and have the ctrl-R feature closer to a
real shell (i.e. with state) -- but it won’t happen before I revamp
the command infrastructure.

> The ideal case for me, and this would be surpassing raw Vim (as in
> without a script) here, would be that TextMate could detect
> "linked" lines in scopes and reflow them dynamically, so deleting
> characters from a long line would allow words from the surrogate
> lines to return to the first line, and typing characters on an
> intermediate line would reflow the block.

So exactly like soft wrap, but with the “on disk” representation
having the returns ;)

> Am I right in thinking this would be impossible to do transparently
> in a command because it's not possible to infer the block that
> needs to be reflowed? [...]

Yes -- currently a command can only get the current word, line,
selection or document as input. Not paragraph (or custom regexp
defined portion).