[TxMt] command with osascript stalls

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Mar 26 08:31:41 UTC 2006

On 26/3/2006, at 9:18, Quinn Comendant wrote:

>> TextMate beachballs until I run 'killall osascript' [...]
> I changed my command to redirect output to /dev/null and now it works!
> [...]
> I'm not really sure WHY it works, but it does.

If you do not redirect stdout/error, it will be inherited by the
parent process (which TM waits for), and then that parent will not be
able to exit.

> [...] This still isn't an ideal script because it is SLOW. It takes
> 2 seconds
> for the windows to arrange themselves. I wonder if a compiled
> applescript would be faster?

Maybe twice as fast. If I do:

    time osascript -e 'return current date'

Then the real time spent is .2s on my 2.5 GHz Dual G5. Compare that
e.g. to:

    time ruby -e 'p Time.now'

Which takes 0.01s on the same machine. The main time spent with AS
though seems to be initialization.