[TxMt] Text width control

Afternoon afternoon at uk2.net
Fri Mar 24 05:12:58 UTC 2006

I always like to keep the length of lines down under 80 chars. I
rarely edit in a window much wider that that, and even if I did it
gets very hard for the eye to scan from end of line to the beginning
of the next over 12-14 words. For example, when writing HTML,
paragraphs are more easily read if they're not on one strapping great
line and if indentation is correct. I'm aware of the Reformat
Paragraph command, but this doesn't take structure or context into
account. When writing code, long lines get complicated, perhaps they
could be refactored to be simpler. As I'm a bit of a nerd, I
appreciate the editor pointing out when I've exceeded the threshold
and help me to refactor.

Basically, it's a style thing.

On 24 Mar 2006, at 4:57, Ned Baldessin wrote:

> I'm curious : what's the point of hard-wrapping ? I've never
> understood in which cases it's useful. Please enlighten me.

We're cycling through Cambodia to raise money for Oxfam, help us
raise £5,200!
http://cambodiachallenge.org/