[TxMt] Reformat paragraph inserting spaces

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Mar 21 10:24:09 UTC 2006

On 21/3/2006, at 0:10, Matthew Gilbert wrote:

> [...] When I reformat a paragraph that is indented by a single tab
> the indented text is indented with spaces.

I assume you mean with _more_ than one tab. As indent of one tab does
not lead to indenting of the following lines (unless you use soft tabs).

> [...] is this something I've screwed up in my settings or is this
> expected behavior?

It is the proper behavior. But I must admit that I am not entirely
sure why I did decide on indenting the following lines with spaces,
when the first one uses tabs.

Likely it is a combination of using generic/parameterized functions
and how the indent also has to deal with leading bullets which cause
extra indent on the following lines. So  it would complicate things
to try and re-use first lines indent.

Would the reStructuredText parser work if you used soft tabs? So the
first lines indent was done with spaces, and the following lines
would thus match. Alternatively one could maybe add an “unexpand”
command before piping the text to the reStructuredText parser (to
collapse spaces into tabs).