[TxMt] Zap gremlins

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Mar 21 02:47:43 UTC 2006

On 21/3/2006, at 3:02, Corey O'Connor wrote:

> Does the "Remove Unprintable Characters in Document" command take into
> consideration the character encoding of the file?

Commands always see the document as UTF-8 and work with that. The
encoding of the file (on disk) has no influence on that, as TextMate
convert from/to the encoding used on disk when loading and saving the
file.

> In a brief experiment with the supplied file I found that in some
> encodings the byte sequences was printed, but in others (UTF-8) the
> byte sequence was not printed.

A file has one encoding -- if you load it with the wrong encoding,
the result is effectively a broken file.