[TxMt] TextMate ant *.txt files encoding

Tobias Jung newsgr at tobiasjung.net
Fri Mar 17 18:03:04 UTC 2006

At 20:07 Uhr +0100 15.03.2006, Yvon Thoraval wrote:
> today i've discovered may be a prob with file encoding (???) over
> a .txt file.
>
> my pref setup is tuned to UTF-8 and a text file edited by TextMate
> was MacOS Roman, something to avoid definitely...
>
> then, using another text editor i've converted this file to UTF-8 and
> discovered again that after having edited this file with TextMate the
> file becomes again in MacOS Roman...
>
> the symtom is that TextEdit (also setup default to UTF-8) is unable
> to open the file.
>
> did other get about the same prob ???

Same thing here today:
I've got a file that is encoded with UTF-8, but it has to be ISO-8859-1.
So I select "ISO-8859-1" from the encoding menue in the "Save As" dialog.
But when re-opening the file, it's still UTF-8. (Another text editor is
telling me the same thing.)
In Preferences -> Advanced -> Saving, I've set File Encoding to
"ISO-8859-1" and "Use for existing files as well" is NOT checked because
usually I don't want to change the file encoding but rather keep it the way
it is.

After converting the file using Cyclone [1], everything was fine but of
course I'd prefer to change the encoding in TextMate.
Did I do something wrong or is this a bug?

Kind regards,
Tobias

[1] <http://free.abracode.com/cyclone/>