[TxMt] Tracking and resolving dependencies

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Wed Mar 8 02:26:18 UTC 2006

I'm interested if there is a way or technique (or even "trick") that
will allow me to track and resolve naming dependencies in a TextMate
project.

Specifically, I'm thinking of the situation where, as I develop a web
site, I decide that I need to move or rename an existing file.  In
order to prevent the website from breaking, I must then locate and
change any and all references to that file in ALL of the files in the
project.  I can use Find and Replace in Project to accomplish that,
but this is hardly proactive on the part of TextMate.  I have to stop
to do it, or *remember* to do it later.

If I were using GoLive or Dreamweaver I assume that if I changed the
name of a file in a project, I'd get a message that that file was
referenced in "X" number of files and would I like to update all
those files to reflect the new name?

Is there any way now (or might there be any way in the future) to
handle this situation?

I'm not programming in C or the like, but it seems to me that a
similar situation could occur there:  Say that for some reason you
change the name of an include or header file... you'll be into a real
mess if you don't detect all the locations in the code where that
file is referenced and change it!  OR... if you change a variable
name for some reason, references to that name will need to be changed
(even though we aren't changing a FILE name in that case).

Thanks,

eo