[TxMt] MediaWiki bundle + Ruby library for interfacing w/ wiki pages

Andrew Dupont andrew at andrewdupont.net
Sun Mar 5 22:21:42 UTC 2006

I've made a bit of progress in writing a MediaWiki bundle, the goal
of which would be to allow one to use TextMate as an external editor
on Wikipedia and other sites using the MediaWiki software. I've
written an alpha version of a Ruby library to machine-read/screen-
scrape wiki pages -- for example:

page = new MediaWiki::Page('TextMate')
page.contents.gsub!(/Textmate/, 'TextMate')
page.save('Corrected capitalization')

I've also built a few proof-of-concept TextMate commands -- fetch
selection from Wikipedia, etc., and have done a very small amount of
work on a MediaWiki syntax grammar (though the one described here
<http://lists.macromates.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-January/
007623.html> might be further along).

In short, I'm trying to replicate as much as possible of the
functionality of mwjed <http://www.djini.de/software/mwjed/>, a jEdit
plugin with the same purpose.  This would include being able to
configure multiple wikis independently, log in, etc., so the bundle
will have to keep track of a bit of configuration info.

If anyone is interested in contributing to this project in any way,
or has any ideas on how I can more elegantly keep track of a wiki
"instance" across individual pages, please let me know. I'm decent
enough in Ruby to get by (though my code could definitely benefit
from another pair of eyes), but if you've got specific expertise in
Objective-C I'd love your assistance in writing some dialogs like the
ones in the Subversion bundle.

The bundle is in no way ready for inclusion in the bundle repository,
but I can share what I've got with anyone who's interested. I invite
questions, comments, and general ridicule.

Cheers,
Andrew Dupont
http://andrewdupont.net