[TxMt] Growl instead of tool tips

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Thu Mar 2 21:55:18 UTC 2006

On 2/3/2006, at 20:23, Fred B. wrote:

>> Currently not really possible w/o editing them [...]
> I was asking how to edit the command to catch the output, in fact. ;)
> I tried but never found how to do it.

Ah… well, a simple way is to put { on the first line and then e.g. “}|
growlShellNotify” on the last line. This will cause all stdout output
from the stuff in the block, to be piped to growlShellNotify, e.g.:

{
echo foo
echo bar
}|growlShellNotify

To also have stderr redirected, use: “} 2>&1|growlShellNotify”.

If we want to pipe it to growl, but still want it to show as a tool
tip, we could (most likely) do: “} 2>&1|tee >(growlShellNotify)”. I
say most likeky, because some commands deal with stdin in a way that
is not compatible with process substitution.