[TxMt] Extra indentation in Markdown mode

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 1 07:21:38 UTC 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 12:29 AM, Dr. Drang wrote:

> I haven't thought about this issue before, but I think I'm going to
> disagree with your last paragraph. Certainly we'd all like indenting
> in our code blocks, but I don't think HTML code should get special
> treatment in TM because it doesn't get special treatment in Markdown
> itself. I suppose I wouldn't mind if this special treatment of HTML
> were benign, but it isn't: it messes up the input of other types of
> code.

  I will agree with you that in markup.raw.block.markdown it perhaps
should not get special treatment. I don't think that it is easy to
disable though, and we do want it to be enabled in the rest of the
markdown code.

> Should Markdown be inheriting from HTML? My tendency is to say no.
> Markdown is not a subset or superset of HTML; it is something
> different. Yes, you can insert HTML directly (outside of a code block)
> when Markdown itself can't give you what you want, but those
> insertions are usually very short. I don't think TM's Markdown mode
> benefits from this inheritance.

I don't tend to use HTML in Markdown, but I sure would like to see it
colored when I do use it. I guess it depends on how one uses
Markdown. One simple solution to avoiding the indenting behavior is
to change the scope of the "Miscellaneous" file in the HTML bundle
from "text.html" to "text.html - text.html.markdown". That would tell
it to not use whatever that file is offering in the markdown bundle.
This should make things work in your local copy. (Don't forget, if
you want changes to preferences items to take effect, you have to
close the Bundle Editor window)
The only "disadvantage" to this is that it makes something in the
HTML bundle refer markdown. the HTML bundle doesn't "know" about
markdown, and it shouldn't. But if you want a quick fix, that is the
simplest way.

> --
> Dr. Drang

Haris