[TxMt] Re: Reformat Paragraph keybinding inserts spaces, instead

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 03:06:56 UTC 2006

[I'm copying the list back in on this exchange, since it now includes
a full resolution.]

On Jun 28, 2006, at 9:07 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 29/6/2006, at 2:37, Jonathan Ragan-Kelley wrote:
>
> > [...] The simple solution: copy KeyBindings.dict to
> > ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/, and optionally merge with
> > my one existing custom TextMate binding (^space => nextCompletion:),
> > and bam -- ^q, ^r, ^u, etc., etc. all work now, where before they
> > didn't.

> That would imply that it didn't successfully read the one
> inside TextMate.app, as it simply merges the various key binding
> files found, well, with the exception that if one is found in
> ~/Library/AppSupport/TextMate, the default one is skipped.
>
> Could it be you had a dummy/empty file there?

Nope, I just misunderstood the usage until I read your "well,
exception" and double-checked to find:

> You can copy this file to ~/Library/‍Application Support/‍TextMate
> and edit it, this will then take precedence over the bundled file.

in the manual.  This is at odds with the normal behavior of
~/Library/KeyBindings relative to the system bindings (it only
overrides those it sets -- its mere existence doesn't blow away all
bindings), so I somehow missed this, and just had a skeletal set of
extensions and modifications in my TextMate user keybindings. Also,
using KeyBindingsEditor's built-in "Open TextMate user keybindings" to
get an empty Application Support/TextMate/KeyBindings.dict doesn't
help matters.

So the simple answer is "RTFM -- very, very carefully."

Thanks.
-jrk