[TxMt] (no subject)

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Jun 21 21:18:46 UTC 2006

On 21/6/2006, at 20:20, Rob McBroom wrote:

>> If you are using Path Finder, then there is the possibility to
>> file a request with them, about their current handling of this.
> Well, I mentioned it because I like the feature, so I wouldn't
> really have anything to ask them for.

I was thinking of asking them to explicitly detect shell scripts,
which seems to be the essence of your disliking: that having TM
associated with unknown files no longer show them as shell scripts,
even when they are.

> I suppose a keyboard shortcut for this menu option would make it
> even nicer, like ⌘E to "edit". I tried to add it in System
> Preferences, but it isn't working. My guess is that because you can
> specify an editor in Path Finder's prefs, the name of the menu
> could change, so while the menu item might look look like "Open
> with TextMate" to me, to the system, it probably looks like "Open
> with $EDITOR_THE_USER_CHOSE" or something.

The system uses the title of the item, when that item was created. So
if you open Path Finder/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MainMenu.nib
(in Interface Builder) and use the title it has there, it likely will
work.

Disclaimer: the path is a guess, if it’s not that, it’s probably
close.

>> but because it says that it can handle everything, and no other
>> app says that,
> I can't help thinking that this was no accident (i.e. no app is
> *supposed* to say it handles everything), but I'll shut up about it
> now.

Well, the reality of such purism would mean that each time someone
needs to use TM with a language (i.e. file extension) I hadn’t
previously heard about, that person would need to modify the
Info.plist to make Finder allow dragging that file to TM etc. -- and
likely write me to ask that the extension be included in future release.

> [...] but maybe a Howto on manually disabling would be useful?

Yes, I’ve been wanting to write up a good “behind the scenes”
working of all this stuff.