[TxMt] Columnar selection shortcut inconvenience

Mon Jun 19 22:32:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:29:59 +0100, Allan Odgaard
<throw-away-1 at macromates.com> wrote:

> On 7/6/2006, at 14:01, porneL wrote:
>
>> [...] Is there a reason why TM has selection implemented like this?
>
> If you drag text and hold option, it will instead copy (rather than
> move), here you need to hold down option to keep it at that state --
> TextMate follows that behavior.
>
> I view column selection as similar “state modifier.”

I can't get used to it :/

For me column and line selection are so different, that they're separate
operations.
And I associate "dropping file" with releasing mouse, but "selecting text"
with pressing it.

Can you change behavior of selection to match XCode?

It might even be TM-compatible:
* if option was held when mouse button was pressed, force selection mode
to be columnar
* if option wasn't held when mouse button was pressed, use current TM
toggling behavior

--
regards, porneL