[TxMt] How long must we wait for CVS support?

Milen Dzhumerov gamehack at 1nsp1r3d.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 20:38:10 UTC 2006

On 18 Jun 2006, at 20:32, Court Kizer wrote:

> I love textmate, it's always lacked in CVS support, you add
> features that are the easiest to add like subversion or other weird
> libraries. But not the ONE thing that is a show stopper for almost
> everyone.

Not for me.

> Every office USES CVS? Why can't this be the #1 priority of textmate?

I would say that your priorities don't necessarily match with those
of the majority of the users. Maybe some think that CVS support is
lacking/missing/buggy and other just don't care since they are not
using it anyway.

> Textmate as an editor is nothing without CVS support.

I would really not express myself this way. It's like saying Mac OS X
is not a decent OS because it lacks feature X.

> I hate having to use BBedit, to browse CVS, or textwrangler, then
> switching back to textmate.

There is always the terminal.

> The one and only thing the developers should focus on right now is.
> CONNECTIVITY.
> who agrees with me?

I don't agree with you. If you ask me I would rather have something
like CodeSense implemented than any connectivity features - I can use
the cvs/svn commands just fine.

> we your customers want CVS support, and SFTP, FTP, and networked
> support,

I think you meant to say "I, your customer, want...". Don't assume
that your needs are the needs of the others.

> and not through some third party client. You want to make textmate
> the worlds best editor? Add in features that crappy clients like
> eclipse or zend developer environment have, that let you browse and
> commit to the CVS trunk, and roll back.
>
> Anyone who wants, and thinks this is the most important feature of
> textmate (aside from being a text editor) please comment and show
> your support. I'm personally willing to donate an extra $500 for
> seemless CVS intergration, not that crappy bundle that's going around.

That's great. If Allan excepts this "pledge" that means that
everybody will benefit so... a big thank you goes to you.

> As a user interface designer, I could even help you design the
> sidebar for browsing CVS, subversion, and feature sets.

Fantastic.

> But everyone is EDITING files online, it shouldn't be hard to
> intergrate, there are SO many free libraries for unix that you can
> use!!! especially for the sftp, and so forth, you don't have to re-
> invent the wheel.

I just want to say that no matter how much we whine or request new
features and so on at the end of the day it's Allan who decides what
goes in the version, etc. What I would really _like_ to see is a
scoring board or something like that where people can put their votes
on the features they would really love to see in the next version of TM.