[TxMt] GTD Upgraded

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 19:04:17 UTC 2006

As a very long-time Outliner GTDer (I was actually using my own very
similar system for well over a year before Ethan launched kGTD, and
tried Life Balance for 6 months before that, and so on), I like the
direction this bundle could go, so I'm excited to see so much early
activity.

One thing this latest conversation brings up:

Why should the user have to explicitly specify a list of contexts in a
separate file -- why couldn't contexts just be inferred from those the
user is already using, like in FMP?  They could of course be cached in
a .context_cache file for faster access, but it seems to me that
having an explicit, separate configuration file is entirely
unnecessary.

(As an aside, I really like the @.* tab trigger idea for user-defined
contexts, btw -- and that's where I see the cache file helping, vs.
having to parse contexts out of each and every project file every
time.)

The other complexity I don't yet fully grok is why there is this
notion of task-type that's orthogonal to both context and project.
>From my own experience, at least, this sort of added layer of
complexity over and above basic GTD (traditionally you just have
@email, @work and @home, not tasks vs. email vs. ? | @home vs. @work
leading to email at home vs. task at work) always winds up getting trimmed
away in the end, and, where the distinction is genuinely useful, it's
usually because you actually have a new context distinction
(@work-email and @home-email), not because these sorts of things need
to be fundamentally orthogonal throughout, complexifying the system
even in cases where the location is irrelevant.

In short, I think using the traditional GTD sense of a single, flat
notion of context (rather than both location and task-type) is just as
powerful for those users who want to have location-specific bins, but
it's no more complex for those who don't, or, more generally, most of
us who don't *for most contexts*.

Anyway, just my 2c after watching from a distance for a while.  I'm
quite interested to see where this goes.
-jrk