[TxMt] Random thoughts

Milen Dzhumerov gamehack at 1nsp1r3d.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 12:55:03 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I've been having some ideas about TM's project drawer/etc which came
up recently on the list. The first thing I want to say is don't
completely ditch the drawer - it's useful _sometimes_ but it doesn't
work for me most of the time. What I would like to see is something
like Mail.app's mailbox/folder pane which is embedded into the
application window. What I find really annoying about TM's "Go To
Symbol" and the symbol list in the status bar: it requires too many
clicks and it's not efficient. Let me demonstrate what I mean. Say
you're working on a .m file and you would like to change some method
in an external class which you're using in your current .m file. So
if you're going to use the status-bar symbol selection you would have
to click on the other file, click the symbol list and then select.
The alternative way would be to click on the other file and select
the symbol in the "Go To Symbol" panel. So you would need to perform
3 or 2 clicks respectively. And that is every time you would like to
quickly find a symbol in another file. Now imagine that you could
expand each file in the project pane and that it lists all the
symbols. You would of course need to click the triangle/arrow to
expand it but only once. After you've done it you can jump straight
to any symbol in the files you've expanded with _one_ click one.
Eclipse does this in a similar fashion - http://www.steema.com/
img_products/screenshots/tchjava/eclipse_teechartjava.png take a look
on the left pane how you can expand files.

Kind regards,
Milen Dzhumerov

Email: gamehack at 1nsp1r3d.co.uk
Web: http://www.1nsp1r3d.co.uk/