[TxMt] My experience with TextMate

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 10:43:10 UTC 2006

Hi Milen,

I just saw your post and read it since it intrigued me the most out
of the 1258 unread posts on this ML in my inbox ;)

On 5 Jun 2006, at 14:17, Milen Dzhumerov wrote:
> Things which I miss:
>
> - CodeSense: Basically this is my reason for not switching to
> TextMate. There is an enormous amount of APIs on the Mac and I
> don't think developers should be expected to know each method and
> its arguments in their heads. Copying/Pasting from the Xcode
> documentation browser doesn't cut it - the time spent on this
> actually outweighs the benefits of using TM (for me personally).
> The day a CodeSense/IntelliSense/WhateverSense is implemented in
> TextMate you will have another customer. For now I'm putting my TM
> switch on hold.

I KNOW that this is NOT exactly what you are asking for or looking
for, BUT this can be implemented today by yourself (& others).  Allan
is well aware of the CodeSense/CodeCompletion/etc requests and has
been for a long time, so I'm sure he's implementing something like it
back in his little toolshed ;-)

When I was doing PHP development (never really done Cocoa) I created
this bundle [ http://anon:anon@macromates.com/svn/Bundles/trunk/
Bundles/PHPCodeCompletion.tmbundle/ ] which you can see how I used
with screenshots of at this outdated page [ http://
www.imediatec.co.uk/tm/phpcc/ ]

I have subsequently moved on to Rails development, and have therefore
begun working on a something similar in Ruby, which you can find here
[ http://www.imediatec.co.uk/tm/bundles/RubyAndRails-
Experimental.tmbundle.v1.zip ]

The PHP bundle does more, but is implemented in PHP which really was/
is a mistake compared to the Ruby/YAML versions, but never mind it
worked/(works?).

Grab those two bundles and see how I - a NON-computer programmer -
hacked my way to an improved coding experience in TM, and I'm sure
that you can code your way around the perceived limitations of TM
today exactly to your individual liking.

I'm fairly certain Allan and others has something going with regards
to Cocoa/Objective-C that helps them speed up their coding, so look
through the existing bundles and ask around.

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -

"RubyOnRails development done the Mac way"
- locomotive.raaum.org -