[TxMt] folding perl pod?

Gerd Knops gerti-textmate at bitart.com
Mon Jul 10 17:03:05 UTC 2006

On Jul 9, 2006, at 11:18 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 9/7/2006, at 20:02, Gerd Knops wrote:
>
>> [...] I would love to see a more powerful folding implementation,
>> even if it means folding is only calculated during open/save of
>> files.
>
> I am all for more powerful foldings, but it seems your suggestion
> implies that folding logic was moved to a plug-in and only applied
> during load/save.

No, the 'only during load/save' remark was because you mentioned TM
having to potentially look at the entire code for folding info would
not scale. I'd rather have a more powerful folding implementation
than real-time folding marker updates.

> The big disadvantage of this is that most users can’t write plug-
> ins and moving to a code-based system (instead of the currently
> declarative approach) also makes supporting mixed document types
> infeasible.

Agreed.

> Personally I am interested in semantic foldings [1] which speaks
> for integrating them with the language parser, where again moving
> them to plug-ins would be counterproductive for that.
>
> [1] Realistically I will probably need 2-3 “modes” in which one of
> them was the semantic mode, as semantic foldings can’t handle all
> the user desires I am aware of.

I'd be happy with a language parser-like implementation, but it would
have to get around the 'one line at a time' in order to gobble up
empty lines, or opening braces on the next line etc. Also in some
situations it would be handy to have a folding-start be also a
folding stop.

Gerd