[TxMt] ^Q and the Mail bundle

Michael Sheets mummer at whitefalls.org
Sun Jul 9 02:38:24 UTC 2006

>> Or we could perhaps just assume that everyone is fine with having
>> emails appear as being in markdown.
>
> I suspect this is unlikely to upset anyone; Markdown is largely
> based on conventions that appeared in e-mail in the first place.
>
> [Gruber][1] says: “While Markdown’s syntax has been influenced by
> several existing text-to-HTML filters, the single biggest source of
> inspiration for Markdown’s syntax is the format of plain text email.”

Probably he more specifically means setext and Tidbits, though it's
used to various extents elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setext
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/mirror/setext.html

Tidbits still uses setext for it's newsletter, and if you look at the
two you'll notice a lot of similarities in design.