[TxMt] "LaTeX in TM" screencast

Kyle Swank unlogikal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 20:33:00 UTC 2006

I just installed latex here on my powerbook two days ago to try it
out. I've been looking for a way to remove Word and other word
processors from my hard drive and Latex struck me as a nice way to do
it. What I'd be interested in seeing is using Latex from a student
perspective.

How can I setup MLA styled documents?
How do I use the latex bibliography app?

That sort of stuff. But also, the hardest part i seen concerning
latex, was installing it. I didn't want to use the i-installer app to
do it since i would prefer to know what's really going on under the
hood. So i was stuck trying to figure out how to do it via darwinports
or fink. Fink is a load of crap in my opinion (i didn't give it much
of a chance honestly, but way too much setup work) so I went with what
I had already installed and had setup, darwinports. All I had to do
was install X11.app and type "sudo port install tetex" and i was in
business. far easier than dealing with that kludge i-installer.

So anyone who wants to install Latex. Here's how I did it.

1. Install X11.app from the Optional Packages install on your Tiger or
Panther disc.
2. Install XCode if you don't already have it installed.
3. Install Darwinports (it's not hard)
4. Use port to install the tetex packages, "sudo port install tetex"

You will need to add /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin to your PATH
since that's where apps are installed. I think you can also just
install X11SDK with XCode and it'll work as well instead of X11.app,
but I didn't try that.

Kyle