[TxMt] Language grammar question - how does newline get inserted when you type "{\r}" ?

John Clayton john at fivesquaresoftware.com
Fri Feb 17 20:58:29 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm working on a grammar for Io (www.iolanguage.com) and I've got a
basic one working.  I notice that in the other languages I've looked
at, typing a "{" , getting the auto-paired "}" , and hitting return
with the cursor in the middle, gets you a new line and the
indentation decreased.  Like so:

before:
	if(true) {}

hit return:
	if(true) {

         }

Now, in Io, matching parens serve as block delimiters (effectively
anyway).  So you could have this statement:

if(true) then (
	// do something
)

So, I'd like to have the same behavior for parens as one gets for
braces, but I can't seem to locate where this is enacted.  As far as
I can tell, there is no key in the grammar or language preferences to
auto-expand this sequence, but I'm new to all this.

Does anyone know if this is part of the language definition system
that I can control?

Thanks in advance,
John

John Clayton