[TxMt] Projects and ordering files/folders

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Feb 14 02:56:27 UTC 2006

On 13/2/2006, at 23:16, Trevor Harmon wrote:

> So the results are neither in alphabetical order nor in the order
> in which they appeared in the Finder. Perhaps this is a bug in
> Finder? Either that or a bug in TextMate's drop handling.

At least in the past, AHIG said that when dragging items from a list
(such as Finder), the ordering should be the order in which the user
selected the items, unless the list presented the items sorted (e.g.
by name), in which case, the ordering should be that.

The only way I can respect that, is if Finder puts the items on the
drag clipboard, in the proper order, which unfortunately it does not.

I filed a bug long ago, which I think was marked a duplicate, which
seems to mean that Apple acknowledge the problem -- that I can no
longer find the passage in AHIG, and my ADC account has apparently
“been disabled for security reasons” (wtf?) though indicates that
maybe I should take actions myself toward a workaround ;)

Initially I didn't want to just sort the dropped items by filename,
cause in theory the user could drag from another application, where
the sort criterion was something else - but I guess in practice this
is rare.

All that said: in the future I am not sure I will support projects
which consist of arbitrarily grouped files and folders, but instead
only folder references (that is, making the project drawer a small
Finder instance, sort of) -- so this will likely be a non-issue.

As for the OP, currently there's only drag'n'drop to re-order items
(i.e. no Sort By… context menu) -- but in your case, I think you
could drag the parent folder to TextMate, instead of all the
individual files, and TextMate will take care of the sorting (as it
will then reflect what's on disk).