[TxMt] LaTeX typesetting results different in Textmate, TeXshop, others

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Fri Dec 22 09:39:06 UTC 2006

On 21 déc. 06, at 19:31, Holger Frauenrath wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I noticed that the results of typesetting LaTeX files in Textmate
> gives different results as compared to other TeX programs (TeXShop,
> iTeXMac). In this particular case, a PDF graphic file was missing,
> in which case, the TeX typesetting stops with a fatal error (at
> least, I think that is what should happen), and no output is produced.
>
> Accordingly, TeXing in TeXShop gives (as console output):
>
>> LaTeX Warning: File `../Figures/polymerization_triamides.pdf' not
>> found on input line 133.
>>
>> Error: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
>> (file ../Figures
>> /polymerization_triamides.pdf): cannot find image file
>> ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> .... and no new PDF file. However, TeXing in Textmate gives:
>> LaTeX Warning: File `../Figures/polymerization_triamides.pdf' not
>> found on inpu
>>
>> Found 0 errors, and 60 warnings in 0 runs
>
> .... and a new PDF file with 0 pages which prompts PDFView to crash
> upon trying to update. In other words, Textmate behaves as if there
> was no error. What I find strange is that I thought that the
> console output was entirely the responsibility of the TeX
> engine ... and I have for sure only one TeX distribution installed.
> Are any parameters passed to the TeX engine from Textmate that
> control this behavior? If so, is there a reason for the current
> settings? Or what else could be the reason?
>
> On a side note, as you see in the example above all warnings are
> truncated (no matter what size the console window is). Is there
> away to avoid this?

I have also been bitten by something similar: pdflatex would complain
about missing macros, whereas TM would happily compile and show the
text (with of course some things not being correctly typesetted).

Alan

--
Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
happen.
  .O.
  ..O
  OOO