[TxMt] problem with R interaction [was math bundle feature request]

xolela at mac.com xolela at mac.com
Fri Dec 8 22:50:38 UTC 2006

>> But, if you are running several R sessions with complex tasks,
>> well, then I have an humble question: Why do you are using TM for
>> that? You want to control all R sessions with TM?

Hans,

I THINK that  what  Haris meant was that you may have the WORKSPACE
from the different running  R sessions getting mixed up..  Whereby
potentially some variables are being created by one session  and
wrongly evaluated  by another session that thinks they are part of
that session.  I for one am one of those that  frequently runs  3
instances of   R all from TM - sometimes (almost) simultaneously:
the  R version;  the Sweave version; and the Console version (this
more for the simple one off  calculations say as I work in my latex/
Sweave document - infact, at times the calculation has nothing to do
with the work - but someone calls while I am in the middle of work &
presents a set of figures - eg a debt that I quickly need to work
out).  So I would care that the potential mess up that Haris mentions
does not occur  because of something lying around/defined  in the
workspace by one or the other of these different environments.
And yes, I know that I can use the maths bundle for some calculation,
but I for one feel comfortable using R even for these since I can
save the variables eg if I am doing sample size calculations.

danstan