[TxMt] problem with R interaction [was math bundle feature request]

janssen at ccr.jussieu.fr janssen at ccr.jussieu.fr
Fri Dec 8 19:39:36 UTC 2006

Thanks this is doing it -
Actually I only need to deal with floats using scientific notation and powers,
logs, etc., which is all available in ruby (but not quite in the math bundle,
where I would have expected it). Are trigonometric functions available in Ruby
too? cos(0.5) is not working for me using Ruby.

How would I go to make a decent shortcut for the Execute Line as Ruby command?
^-Shft-E is already used in the Latex bundle - I can certainly use the bundle
editor to select another short cut for it, but is this recommended or
are there
better solutions.

> You don't need to know anything about Ruby, in fact the command I
> mentioned in the previous email computes 1/1e-1 just fine. All you
> have to do is look up the names of the standard commands in that ruby
>  help page I linked to, so that you know what to call, i.e. that
> log()  is for logarithms log10() for base 10 logarithms etc. If you
> give us  a list of the kind of simple math you want to do, and how
> ideally you  would like to type them in, we can offer a better
> suggestion I think  (though I am fairly certain that the ruby command
> as it stands will  already cover most if not all of them).
>
>> JJ

And yes, Haris, 100^2 <> 0. You actually pointed it out - it is not the
different functions that cause the problem. There appear many things to go on
at the same time, and shame on me, I was not careful enough when reporting to
the list. Here is a set of lines that were selected in Textmate and then
evaluated through R via the Console command:

100^2
[1] 0

100^2
[1] 10000

1/e-1
Fehler: syntax error

1/1e-1
Fehler: syntax error

1/1e-1
[1] 10

1/e-1
Fehler: objekt "e" nicht gefunden

I made a mistake by typing e-1 instead of 1e-1. This way R could not interpret
what I meant. But in addition, the selected region gets somehow corrupted. It
seems that the first character is suppressed when transferred to R. Leading to
00 in one case which gives the correct result 0^2=0. When there is an empty
space in front of the number it gets transferred completely and 100^2=10000.
THis must lead to an error message in case of a 1e-1 at the beginning of a
line, because e-1 cannot be interpreted ...

May be this can be confirmed by others, or is it me again?

JJ