[TxMt] Re: TextMate Code Completion

thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Thu Dec 7 14:37:34 UTC 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 6:51 AM, Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs wrote:

> As the final feature to list I also want to mention that I would be
> a fan of *SubWordCompletion*. (This used to be a feature of Xcode,
> but they removed it, unfortunately). With SubWordCompletion I mean
> that it can also complete on *parts* of completion terms, without
> leaving the completion modus, with the possibility to narrow down
> on the completion term fast. An example:
> You're looking for NSNumberFormatterRoundDown.
> Then typing `NSNum ⇥ F ⇥ R ⇥ D ⇥` should be enough to make
> the complete NSNumberFormatterRoundDown.
> This would the breakdown of the steps in the interface:
> 1. You type NSNum
> It completes to NSNumber
> 2. type ⇥
> It stays in completion mode, showing you all possible continuations
> of NSNumber...  (Hit ⇥ again or hit enter to exit completion mode
> and use NSNumber)
> 3. type F
> it completes to NSNumberFormatter
> 4. type ⇥
> you see NSNumberFormatter... and still stays in completion mode
> 5. type R
> it completes to NSNumberFormatterRound
> 6. type ⇥
> you see the 9 possible endings of NSNumberFormatterRound...
> 7. type D
> it completes to NSNumberFormatterRoundDown
> 8. type ⇥
> presto!
>

> I recognize that most of these features will not be simple to
> implement, but please forgive me for being an idealist instead of a
> pragmatist.
> Best,
> dirk

This can't work with tm_dialog--menu as it currently exists.
However!
all the tm_dialog source code is in the repo. I have no idea, but
could you extend the tm_dialog --menu to catch keystrokes and pass
them back?
If so, then we could implement this functionality.

OR

We could use a custom nib inside of tm_dialog instead of the --menu
I think we could even use Allan's borderless panel subclass.
Then it would look a lot more like the normal code completion thing
that every other cocoa app uses.

There have been a bunch of changes to tm_dialog lately, anyone know
how doable this is?
I know there's something to keep the nib open while sending messages
to and from it now.

thomas Aylott — design42 — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg