[TxMt] Footer for Preview Print other than Prince 5.1

Laudun John jlaudun at mac.com
Tue Dec 5 16:33:11 UTC 2006

On Dec 5, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Lloyd Williams wrote:

> Kevin, I am sorry but I do not understand the two replies. Please
> explain. I am not a programmer. I am a writer who likes the power
> of TextMate. Thank you. Lloyd

Lloyd,

I am sympathetic: I too am mostly a writer who understands only a
little of what transpires on this list. That said, Kevin is
describing to you ways of getting from MarkDown/MultiMarkDown to PDF
using only free and open source materials. In this case, he is
recommending that you use a converter to transform your MarkDown
formatted files into LaTeX files. Think of Latex -- I hate doing all
the capitals, so you only get them once -- as another form of markup,
like HTML or MarkDown. It is a very precise form of markup long used
by many in the sciences for getting the kind of outputs that others
had access to only when word processers developed robust page-layout
capabilities became widely available.

There are a wide variety of Latex installations available, you need
only google Latex and Mac to discover them, or perhaps someone on
this list will point you to a package particularly easily adapted/
adopted by a newbie.

I can't help you there. I use Mellel when projects get to be a of
certain structure or size.

I do enjoy doing a lot of writing in TextMate using the MarkDown
formats, if only I could get some form of code-folding -- I've been
meaning to ask this list about the possibility of using two returns
as a way to cue the end of header and how one would include that
within the parsing language in the bundle. (One of my goals for next
year is to teach myself PERL -- I'm a folklorist, so PERL's language-
oriented abilities are useful in and of themselves.)

I hope this helps. My apologies for blurting out my own question in
the middle of my answer. I will re-post it if it doesn't make any
sense at another time on this list.

john