[TxMt] LaTeX: feature suggestions for the LaTeX bundle.

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Sun Dec 3 19:32:46 UTC 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 2:10 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> I scan the whole line where the insertion point is, and open the
> first one I find. A variation of the command opens all referenced
> files in the current document. For the graphics you may want to
> perform some additional trickery (people who use metapost may want
> the source of the image, rather than the pdf -- and some more name-
> mangling may be needed).

If you tell me what sort of trickery you'd like, I can try and modify
the command to use it.

>> As far as encoding goes, TextMate always presents its commands
>> with utf-8 data, taking care of trying to figure out the encoding
>> of the original file as best it can, and keeping this transparent
>> from the bundle items, which just act on utf-8 data. Allan has
>> talked extensively on his views on the whole encoding issue [2].
>> Let us know of any particular problems you encounter.
>
> Well, tex was written in the pure 7-bit era, when computing
> dinosaurs inhabited the face if the internet, there may even have
> been a version that could run on an EBCDIC system. There are
> versions coming (xetex, luatex) that will handle utf-8 natively,
> but at this moment, tex itself is only 8-bit clean. There is an
> inputenc module that handles utf8, but it is far from complete.
> Most tex users who want to type characters beyond 7-bit ASCII will
> rely on one of the 8-bit sets (iso-latin-1 through 15, etc). Since
> this encodung is given in the source, it is not completely trivial
> to change this automagically.

Well, TextMate likes to save things as UTF-8. I have an idea, but I
don't know if it would actually work quite right. Tell me what you
think:

Let TextMate save files as UTF-8. Specify a %!TEX encoding = enc-
name. The Typeset command could then pass the file through iconv to
convert to the desired encoding, and save it temporarily on disc
as .filename.converted.tex, and then pass the -jobname switch to
pdflatex to tell it to use the original filename as the name for the
job.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org