[TxMt] feature suggest: collapsing chunks of CSS via comment tokens

Eric D. Fields eric_fields at emerson.edu
Wed Aug 23 19:24:07 UTC 2006

I'm not much of a fan of collapsing my code within the editor... it
just confuses more more than anything most of the time. Perhaps if
there was a better indicator that there was collapsed code.

However, I work with 500+-line CSS files every day, and we do a decent
job grouping these into sections visually through commenting. It would
be great if we could collapse any one of these "sections" as to help
with general organization, etc. A typical style sheet for us would
look like this:

/*
|	3. Site Structure
|________________________________________________________ */

(structure styles)

/*_______________________________________________________ */

/*
|	4. Front Page
|________________________________________________________ */

(front-page specific styles)

/*_______________________________________________________ */

I'm pretty sure all that would be needed for this are some
standardized tokens that need to appear at the section 'bookends.'
So...

/***
|	4. Front Page
|________________________________________________________ */

/*______________________________________________________***/

Preferably looking like this when collapsed:

/***
|	4. Front Page
|________________________________________________________ */

And then the rule would be start collapse at first instance of *** and
end at the next instance of ***. We may want to argue for a few
hundred e-mails on what a more unique token could be, and then there's
the issue of standardizing comment markup so that we can all use
it.... i'm sure it'd be easy enough to do for one example but to
account for other peoples' styles...

Thoughts on this? Anyone feel like whipping this up? I've never done
any bundle editing before but i could give it a whril so long as we
feel this is worthwhile and i've got all the rules down.

--
eric
ericdfields.com