[TxMt] revisiting high-ascii / zap-gremlin issue

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Apr 28 17:14:39 UTC 2006

On 28/4/2006, at 18:50, David Clark wrote:

> I still have stuff like the following:
> s in three statesâ€"New Hampshire, Washington, and Coloradoâ€"that are
>
> any tips?

hmm… how do you get that text? and what do you expect to be left
with? It looks like mangled characters due to encoding issues.

The strip non-ASCII though should remove them, although here you
maybe want spaces inserted. But I would investigate the process that
results in these characters, because pasting curly quotes from Word
or similar surely should be working gracefully.