[TxMt] Moving project files, or...

Jason McC. Smith smithja at ncpod.org
Wed Apr 26 22:45:57 UTC 2006

	... how I stopped worrying and learned to love absolute paths.

	Hey all, new (<24hrs) TextMate user, and as a recovering emacs/Alpha
user, I am *LOVING* this thing.  I have hopes for one use of the
Projects that I can't seem to get working, and my investigations make
me think that I'm just trying to abuse the poor things more than
they're intended to be.

	Scenario:

	I have a large (stable) code base that I'm working with, and am
doing a number of investigations into the code to figure out how the
bloody thing works.  It occurred to me that I might be able to use
Projects as a way of tracking these investigations:

	1) Drop top folder of source repository on TextMate.
	2) Start digging through code, leaving windows open as tabs.
	3) When I'm done, I have a list from left to right of the files I
ended up looking at, and the last place I looked in them.
	4) Save the project with an appropriate name related to the *topic*
"DataFileSearching.tmproj" for example.
	5) At later date, when I need to revisit the investigation, I have
breadcrumbs of where I went, what I looked at, etc.  I also have a
timestamp on the Project file of the last time it was worked on.  (I
considered using Groups in a Project, but that doesn't give me a
workset, or a timestamp.)

	Now the problem... if I move the Project file, it breaks all the
folder references.  My first thought was that after step 1, but
before I open any files, I just needed to select the top level in the
Project, Get Info, and then check Save as Absolute Path.  I peeked
into the .tmproj file, and yup, a nice absolute path was created for
me.  Moving the Project file resulted in it still being able to find
the root of the source tree.  Problem one down.

	Now for the second problem... if any files are open, and I save the
Project, *those* paths are *NOT* saved as absolute, and instead are
relative to where the .tmproj file resides.  If I move the file, I
lose all my breadcrumbs.  Bummer.

	So this boils down to: am I missing something, or is this a bug to
file?