[TxMt] discoverability, activation and scaling

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:34:48 UTC 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Chris Thomas wrote:

> I don't think my concern about menu length is an invalid one.
> You're proposing adding five new Diff commands, assuming you
> replicate each of the existing commands, to what is already one of
> the longest command menus in TextMate.
>
> When Allan provides a UI for grouping and enabling subsets of
> bundle commands, a separate set of commands will be great.
> Meanwhile, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

You're right.
We definitely have a scaling problem here.

Maybe in the mean time we should just have another shortcut for the
filemerge versions of these.
What do you think about  ctrl-shift-opt-a  ?
That keeps the standard idea of what the option key is for.

---
I'm not sure what the best long term solution is to this. Logically,
they should all be grouped together, but in separate sub groups or
something. But that begs the problem of how to lay that out properly
in the UI. I don't think the cocoa menu API is good enough to handle
much complexity.

I'd really like to have the icons in the list and maybe add some
indenting or grouping or something. The current cocoa menu stuff
breaks select-as-you-type when you group stuff.

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient—oblivious at subtleGradient.com